Saturday, January 09, 2010

Spread the love

Today, see if you can stretch your heart and expand your love so that it touches not only those to whom you can give it easily, but also those who need it so much.
- Daphne Rose Kingma

Goooood day everybody!

Here's today's challenge for you all -- be love. I first heard of this from Jason Mraz's blog, and i wasn't really sure of what the man was talking about. To be love? I mean, i know how to love, but to be love? Well, i don't much know how do i define being love, so here it is from the man himself :

“Be Love” is a bold declaration. It’s about choosing kindness over being right. It’s about cutting out the conditions in which you might think are required for love and going straight to the source, or rather, being the source yourself, that which is Love, unconditional.

By just one single sentence in there -- it's about choosing kindness over being right -- i have already encountered several challenges. I think it has been naturally instilled in me over the few years of my life the desire to be right.

When a friend or family member wrongs me (albeit unintentionally), i find it necessary to battle it out till the end, until everyone -- most of all said friend or family member itself -- knows that i am right.

When someone isn't generous enough to me yet expects me to be a completely giving person right back, i become compelled to shun that person right in their face.

When someone says "no" to my request, i get mad and prepare myself to reject that person at their next request of me.

Well, that ain't right. The alternative to entertaining this inane desire to be right all the time is to just take a step back and look at things from a wider perspective, because ultimately at the end of the day, when i am right, the only person who is happy is -- well let's face it -- me. And even most of the time this twisted satisfaction of mine has an underlying guilt to it because now there is a strained vibe to the air -- because of me.

It isn't necessary to be right all the time; to "win" every time. After all, with all the uneasiness/unhappiness caused, the satisfaction i get becomes nothing but a cheap thrill that will be forgotten all too soon -- and then what is the point? The perfect words to sum this up is that "it all amounts to nothing in the end". If all we have is right now, then why do we want to make these Now moments miserable ones?

So i have made it one of my resolutions this year to Be Love, and it will be a challenge. I will have to face off with the Selfish in me everyday, especially when it catches me unaware. It will be tricky. It will be awesome :)

Questions of the day. Will you yourself partake in this challenge to become a transformed person? And how will you go about it?

With love ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment